18 August 2008

More Good News for Old Olympians!!

Wonderful story today (Mon Aug 18 2008) from Bejing. The Silver Medal to Canada in equestrian team jumping, includes a first medal in NINE Olympics for61-year old Ian Millar!!!! Millar's story, reported by the CBC is worth mentioning:

"I remember back in the early '70s when I had a disastrous Grand Prix, my wife, Lynn, said to me, 'Don't worry, you're going to be a late bloomer.' That's what she said to me and I've always held that thought," said Millar. "And so the Olympics don't go well and I'd say, 'Lynn said I'm a late bloomer. I'll go to the next one.' And sure enough, guess what happened? I bloomed." The sad note? Millar's wife died from cancer earlier this year. "I had an angel riding with me, that's all I can say," said a teary Millar.

Last night, it was exciting to see 33 year old Oksana Chusovitina win Silver in Women's Vault, jumping for Germany (back at a "NORMAL" age for success in her sport, she was a Soviet star!). I'm loving the Bejing Games!

No comments: