01 February 2009

Lessons on Clap Skates -- Lake Ontario Feb. 1, 2009


I tried to skate on clap skates today, on natural ice on Irondequoit Bay, Lake Ontario, getting ready for Skate the Bay next weekend.  Many important lessons:  one: when the weather gets up to 40 F. the ice is not wonderful; two: when the wind is blowing hard and you start to slide backwards, clap skates are not your ally; three: wind and temperature are why they created indoor ovals;  four: when you fall and hit your head, your head loses; and five: don't slide backwards into docks.  On the plus side, by getting the bad karma out now, all should be well next week! Robert Verrone and his crew have made a wonderful track, and are working very hard to get and keep it in good shape.  The ice fishermen have been respecting it pretty well, and sticking holes elsewhere. It's going to be so much fun!   I recommend a visit to www.skatethebay.org.  And a visit to Webster NY next weekend!  Anyway, my daughter in Salt Lake wanted me to post the photo from my little mishap, so here it comes, to complete my embarrassment!  More of a wound to dignity than to anything else, but it did remind me not to get to overconfident!


1 comment:

Tina said...

Ouch! Glad you are OK and no stitches required. Next time - helmet!