04 November 2009

When The Gods Are Benevolent at Practice & The Colbert Nation

Nov. 3rd may have been my first really satisfying practice of the season. Work schedule, minor injury, a touch of flu have all been co-conspirators, but tonight's practice was one of those where everything is so perfect...I'd decided to spend the practice time focusing simply on balance and on glide, and had the benefit of Coach Gerry Savoie prompting and correcting. The rink in Rochester was its usual--COLD--and I'd stayed out for the session with the club's more advanced skaters, because I really, really need the practice. So it was glide, shift weight, monkey drills....all very steady and rhythmic. And for once, I felt at ease on the blades, comfortable, not even thinking of a misstep or a fall. The crossover continued to elude, but this time, certainly for the first time this season, I felt that communion with the ice that makes skating such a wonderful sport. Just in time, too, because my second competition of the season is this weekend in Cleveland: the Cleveland Heights rink is one of my favorites, and each time I've skated there I've gotten personal bests (such as they are). The Cleveland crew always runs a first rate meet, too. Tonight the gods were kind, and the practice was an exercise in joy.

On a broader front, the news of the last few days is pretty wonderful: Dan Jaansen appeared yesterday on the Colbert Report, after his NYC Marathon run (as did Bob Crowley from US Speedskating. . I don't know if Bob ran the Marathon, although Tim Doherty from Rochester Speed Skating did for the third time!). The signed the Colbert Nation as sponsors of US Speedskating! The interview is at http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/254015/november-02-2009/sport-report---nyc-marathon---olympic-speedskating


US Speedskating has added a spot on its website for contributors from the Colbert Nation. Please tell your friends: https://webpoint.usspeedskating.org/wp/Transactions/Donate.asp

Go Colbert Nation! Go US Speedskating!!

No comments: