05 April 2009

Birthday 5K


7:30 AM on my 59th birthday, at the starting line with about 300 runners in the marina park embarcadero in San Diego harbor, for the National School Boards Foundation annual 5k run.  I could not have picked a better way to both celebrate my birthday, have the first running race of the year, fly the Rochester Speed Skating Team flag (well, T shirt) on the West Coast and let my teammates know that I have not turned into a couch potato! It was a fun race, with sun, a nice breeze and mid-60s temperatures, through a really beautiful park that runs along San Diego bay facing Coronado Island across the way.  In the harbor, a Dole container ship probably loaded with pineapples, the USS Ronald Reagan and another aircraft carrier, and several other Navy vessels.  It was a lot of fun, and while my time was about average for me, it was in the top half of the finishers, proving that there is merit in picking the races where most of the runners are over 30. In the post-race picture with me is Tim Kremer from the NY State School Boards Association, who was also flying his flag on the west coast, in his case the emblem of the New York Giants.  Jay Worona had racing #1.  I would have asked how he got that, if only I could have caught up to him!

No comments: