28 April 2009

Stalling Over, Dryland Begins at the Yoga Center

Hearing Tom Rossborough talk about his rowing, and John Diemont his biking, and the folks in SLC talking about their aching,  it very slowly dawned on me that it was time to get going on dryland.  So, with a little time before Rochester or Buffalo dryland begins, I decided to try something new (for me).  I signed up at a little club in Buffalo to take 12 yoga lessons in the next six weeks, beginning last night when I met with about a dozen other neophytes and our instructor, Sara, for a couple hours.  Cannot say that it was fluid, but it was interesting, and fun, and a surprising mix of strenuous and relaxing.  We learned quite a bit about the concept of ujjayi breathing, and practiced it throughout the session, figuring out to extend a stretch on the exhale, and pressing weight to the rear foot, not the lead, which seemed counterintuitive, but clearly helped extend the stretches.  A lot to absorb in a first session, but it was really engaging and I'm looking forward to Thursday night!

No comments: