24 August 2009

2009 Desert Classic in Salt Lake City, Pt. 2



Thanks to Teri Willingham for allowing use of the photo below, taken during the 1000 meter time trial in Salt Lake City on Aug. 22 where her 01:37.4 gave her the opportunity to go to the Olympic Time Trials. Teri took the two to the right the following day, showing Liz in a heat, and in her trademark lime green. While I am at it, I want to thank the coaches and members of the Rochester Speed Skating Team who have taught this sport to us both, and instilled in Liz a real passion for it, especially Marty Medina, Jim Cornell, Tim Doherty, and Karen Veronne, Gerry Savoie and Tom Rossborough; to Mike Kooreman and Derek Parra and most recently to Coach Jun-Hyung Yeo, whose passion is really remarkable, for bringing her so far in this past year. In the second day of the Desert Classic, Liz achieved a second PB for the meet, with an 00:47.8 in the 500 meter final. One has to wonder, however, if the speed of the weekend has any relationship to the Ramen eating contest of last Thursday? If so, I probably must thank Simon Cho for joining her in that little exercise in moderation! Finally, I would like to thank Andrew Love and Brian Boudreau for sending their first hand observations to me; and to Marty and everyone else who touched base by email, phone or Facebook to help share my excitement over Liz's meet...once again, I have seen the evidence of what a terrific group of people work in and around this sport. Now, the parents' moment savored, it's time to look ahead. I will end by quoting the note from our favorite starter, Jeff Golz, who conveyed congratulations with a simple "I guess we'll see you in Marquette!" I guess that's right!






No comments: